As of August 22, 2025, 704 MW offshore wind farm Revolution Wind was ordered to stop work by the Department of the Interior’s Bureau of Ocean Energy Management. [1] The project developer Ørsted said that the project is about 80% complete and was set to supply energy to Rhode Island and Connecticut. Ørsted, which owns the project in a 50/50 joint venture with Global Infrastructure Partners’ Skyborn Renewables, said that the project is fully permitted and has all offshore foundations installed and 45 out of 65 wind turbines installed. [2] The Trump administration has previously issued a similar stop-work order on the 810-MW Empire Wind 1 project in New York in April. [3] The order was revoked and the project allowed to continue after New York Governor Kathy Hochul negotiated with the administration to move forward on “critical pipeline capacity” for natural gas. In this case, the project is currently complying with the order and taking appropriate steps to stop offshore activities. The uncertainty has caused Ørsted’s shares to tumble to an all-time low of $9.31 following the news. Ørsted said in an August 11 announcement that it plans to move ahead with a $9.4 billion rights issue to shore up its capital structure.
[3] https://www.equinor.com/news/20250519-empire-wind-project-resumes-construction